Friday, December 13, 2013

Boston Bound

Ladies and gentlemen, I have officially accepted my invitational entry into the Boston Marathon!

I want to put my invitation into perspective for those of you unfamiliar with just how amazing this opportunity is. Next year's marathon field has been increased to 36000, 9000 more than last year. 23081 numbers have gone to qualified runners or those who have completed 10+ consecutive Boston Marathons. So, how hard is it to qualify? Well, a female between the ages of 18-34 would need to complete a marathon in 3 hours and 35 minutes or less. Thats fast! 5625 numbers were offered to starters from last year who made it past the half-marathon mark, but were unable to finish due to bombings. 500+ were issued to each person physically injured by the bombs. That leaves roughly 6500 numbers, which go to the towns the marathon route runs through, charities in/around Boston and sponsors/supporters of the B.A.A and the Boston Marathon.

I now realize that receiving this "golden ticket" is a blessing in disguise. A once in a lifetime opportunity. The final step in healing. So, heres to 26.2 miles or pure torture and--for those who know me--excessive bitching!

I will be running as part of Spaulding's Race for Rehab team. Please consider supporting my mission to run for those who can't. A donation of any amount is greatly appreciated.

Checks made payable to:
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
(put my name in the memo line)

Mail to: 
Attention: Amanda Ravens
Development Office
1575 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02138

Donate Online:
http://www.crowdrise.com/Spaulding2014BostonMarathon/fundraiser/amandaravens

No comments:

Post a Comment