Saturday, December 14, 2013

Frozen Beans

This morning's temperature was 12 degrees when I hit the streets. I was layered, hydrated and mentally prepared for this weekend's long run: 8 miles. My run included a bit of a detour when I took a wrong turn, which resulted in an 8.5 mile route, but thats OK because I felt GREAT! Don't tell my "Coaches" Suzanne Adams and Pamela Robichaud though! They keep lecturing me on "not pushing it."

Coach Adams suggested that I start using "nutrition" during my training runs, especially since they are getting longer. "Nutrition" will become necessary to survive out there in the double digit miles, which are coming quickly. Per her recommendation, I purchased Sports Beans, made by one of my favorite candy makers: Jelly Belly. You're probably thinking that jelly beans don't exactly sound like a nutritional "food," but these beans are magic (and filled with lots of vitamins and carbs.) 8 Miles was a breeze and I'm crediting the beans! Running also just got 100 times better since I get to eat candy!

So, the run went well, but by the time I got into the house I couldn't feel my tush. No, really, it was red...and I mean RED and totally numb. So numb that when I sat down I was unsure if I had actually made contact with the chair. Running in those frigid temps is no joke (my beans even froze!) I think I need to get warmer pants, so any recommendations that people have are greatly appreciated.

This past week also brought my firm commitment to run the marathon. I have signed on as a member of Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital's Race for Rehab Boston Marathon Team and will be raising funds for the hospital. Spaulding and the Race for Rehab team hold a special place in my heart. I have worked for the hospital for 4 years and have been involved with the team since I started. I am truly looking forward to being on the other side of the team this year and actually running the race. I hope that everyone who reads my blog will consider making a donation to my fundraising efforts. Donations can be made online by clicking here or by checks made payable to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and sent to: Amanda Ravens, Development Office, 1575 Cambridge Street, Cambridge MA, 02138.

Tonight I will be enjoying a tall glass of wine and watching the snow fall. Glad I got my run in early today. I hope everyone stays warm and safe out there.

Until next week....



No comments:

Post a Comment